Thursday, June 2, 2011

Welcome (Back)

Hi there. 


I'm back


Sort of. 


I've decided it's time to start blogging again...I need some inspiration, some accountability, and something better to do than come home from work and refresh Facebook until I crash. 


So for those of you who don't remember or never knew the old Kay's Cookies/Kitchen Jouissance blog, I'll give you a quick intro:


I bake cookies. 


For those of you who are wondering what the heck happened to the old blog & why I disappeared from the internet world for a bit, I've got a little story: 



When we left off, our heroine (moi) was feverishly preparing for a role in the Palm Beach Shakespeare Festival’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and planning for the big transition from High School Drama teacher to Ivy League Scholar. Yeah, that worked out. 
All in all, Midsummer was an incredible experience (and you can check out some of the videos here), and it ended all too quickly. The transition to New York City was a hard one, what with my rapidly failing long distance relationship, the high rent, the high grocery prices ($6 for a box of cereal!), the long commutes (curse you, MTA construction!), the dirt, the noise, and the overall feeling that the incredibly expensive degree for which I was studying was ultimately going to be useless. (Direct quote from Linda Winer, my Theatre Criticism professor: "If this were still a career, I'd say you'd make a great theatre critic.")
Granted, I did make some incredible friends, and I was fortunate enough to see and partake in more theatre than most people will ever experience in a lifetime or two, so for that I’m incredibly grateful. (Some of my theatre and arts reviews can be found here, if you’re interested.) However, I quickly realized that the city life--and a life in the theatre--wasn’t for me. 
Around the time of my move, I began lifting weights and getting heavily involved in what can only be called “gym culture.” I realized that lifting weights was a quick ticket to happiness, and after a few months, and advice from amazingly smart people like Ben Bruno (who was my early morning gym buddy at Dodge Fitness Center by default), I realized that I might want to make fitness a career. 
I moved back home to South Florida in July of 2010, and was certified as a personal trainer by the National Academy of Sports Medicine by August. For now, my focus is on learning as much as I can about the fitness world and trying to find a little balance in the process. 
Okay. Story time done. 

I'll be back soon. 

Love & cookies, 

Kaila

(PS I'm not going by "Kay" anymore, in case you were wondering...) 

No comments:

Post a Comment