Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Quick Update (Or, Why I'm Not Finishing My Story Tonight)

Hey all.

Just wanted to throw in a quick fitness-related update, since it's already 10 pm, and I have an early date with the gym in the morning. I'd have posted earlier, but I spent the ENTIRE DAY cleaning my house. With bleach. And Clorox. And other harsh chemicals.

At least the kitchen no longer smells like rotting food. (Thanks, roommates!)

I also prepped all of my meals for the week (hooray chicken and turkey breast, tilapia, sweet potatoes, & veggies!), baked a small batch of cookies (Chocolate Chip Espresso Shortbread...mmmmm), and did laundry.

And I tried out my Vibrams at the gym. I didn't do any lifting--that's tomorrow's endeavor. Today was SUPPOSED to be a long run with my dad in the morning, but I ended up being woken up around 1:30 am and not getting back to sleep. So I set out to do 45 minutes on the revolving stairs at the gym. Usually, this is no big deal. However I could barely make it to 35 minutes before I felt like collapsing. I was using muscles I didn't even know I had. (Which wasn't hard, since I'm still relatively new to functional anatomy, what with my English major and all.)

So. I already know that a) my legs are going to HATE me by the morning (time for some foam rolling, methinks) and b) tomorrow's squats/deadlifts/step-ups/whatever are going to an experience I'm not likely to forget. I'll let you know how that goes.

Until then,
Good night, sweet prince(s), and flocks of angels sing thee to thy rest.

-Kaila

PS Here's an interesting article on the Science of Barefoot Running.  

No comments:

Post a Comment