Wednesday, September 14, 2011

You're very tight here.

It's official. The woman who just released my back deserves a medal.

Because I've now spent half a week on my butt, and because I can't afford to have that continue into this weekend (due to the fact that it's the most important weekend I've had career-wise in a year, and I have to be able to stand, move around, and otherwise be dynamic and not-injured), I sought out professional help for my back issues.

I have gone to Body Kneads Massage in Boca before--they do chiropractic massage, etc., etc., and I've had them do deep tissue and sports massages for me back when I was still lifting heavy and trying to be a bikini competitor. Everyone I've worked with has done a pretty darn good job, so I decided to use my day off (and their summer massage special) to go and see if they couldn't help me out.

Boy, did they ever.

I ended up working with Estefania, who, in my humble, slightly biased, post-massaged opinion, might just be the greatest human being ever. This massage wasn't just a "hey, let me dig into your various body parts and see how hard I can press," or even a dinky "let me rub your shoulders for an hour." This was a "hey-where-did-that-bruise-come-from, elbow-in-my-glute, thumbs-or-trigger-point-seeking-missiles" kind of massage.

The very first thing she said to me once I was on the table was, "You're very tight here." Probably not a good sign, when she was only talking about my forearms. She moved to my pecs, and remarked, "You're very tight here." Fortunately, that's normal. Years of rounded shoulders, heavy backpacks and purses, computer-desk-hunching, and other symptoms of the typical American lifestyle contribute to that.

Then she moved to my back. She literally gasped. And then she said, "You're very tight here." Understatement of the century.

In order to better work the back, though, she had to release the glute (and in an ironic twist, I was "very tight here.") and the hamstring, and then even the fascia of my back. So much pain; so much necessary, glorious pain. And then the shoulders, which were tight, and then into my neck for some of the most intense myofascial release I've ever had there.

That said, I feel incredible, bruises and all. Obviously I'm not in any condition to go bend myself into any form of padahastasana,* but I feel like I will be able to make it through tomorrow and then the weekend at work.

So no yoga for another couple (several?) days...which is killing me. But soon enough. Soon enough.

And no more gym. Sigh.

Alright...off to study, run errands, and clean the house (carefully).

Kaila

*I promised one of my managers two days ago that I'm going to try going a whole quarter without a major injury. Wish me luck....

No comments:

Post a Comment